Thursday, July 8, 2010

Irish Lotto statistics: Mathematics

I was not sure what title should I give this post, but since I have used some mathematics formulas, here we go:

I calculated the sums and averages of all 6 main Irish lotto numbers for each draw and here is what I have found for the last 115 draws:
  • The sums* of 6 main lotto numbers ranged between 69 and 210: this is a wide range, but if we take out the extreme results that occur less often, we can deduce that it is safe to only pick 6-number combinations for which the sum falls between 100 and 180, since the 69-99 range amounts for only 11% (13 out of 115 draws) and the 181-210 range amounts for only 7% of the draws (8 out of 115).
  • The average value** of 6 main lotto numbers ranged between 12 ad 35. In order to reduce the number of possible combinations, it would be safe enough (although not guaranteed a win) to take out the extreme values: 13 out of 115 average values (11%) are under 17 and 10 out of 115 average values are over 29 (9%) so it is relatively safe to pick 6 lotto numbers that average between 17 and 29.
*Where the sum is obtained by adding the total of your 6 numbers;
**Where the average is obtained by adding the total of your 6 numbers, divided by 6.

If you have some lucky numbers that you think you MUST play, by all means play them but it would be a good idea to pick your other numbers in a way that the sum of your 6 number falls between 100 and 180 and for which the average falls between 17 and 29, taking into account what I have written about in my previous posts:
Well I have had enough with the theory, so in my next posts I am going to be a little more practical and  look at some of the free lotto winning systems available on the web, and whether they work or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment